Sunday, June 7, 2009

Banana Bread Recipe

This is the recipe I used waaaaaay back in my third year of 4-H for the Banana Bread I exhibited at the county 4-H Fair. I got a blue ribbon and an honor ribbon because it was judged on the possibility of going to the State Fair but didn't. I don't think I've ever made it using chocolate chips.

Banana Bread

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup margarine

2 eggs

1/2 cup sour milk (add 1 tsp. white vinegar to fresh milk and let it stand 10 minutes)

1 tsp. baking soda

2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups mashed over ripe bananas (approx. 4)

1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Cream sugar and margarine. Then add eggs, milk, soda, flour and vanilla. Mix well. Add bananas and nuts. Pour into 2 greased and floured loaf pans and let stand 20 minutes.

Bake at 325 for 50 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. If the toothpick comes out clean, the banana bread is done.

Options: You can use 1 1/2 cups applesauce instead of the bananas. You can also use crushed pineapple, crushed cranberries or almost any soft fruit.

----------------------------------------------------

I have a recipe analyzing program that I can enter recipes into and get the nutritional data. I analyzed this with using skim milk and 1 cup nuts but not the chocolate chips. If you slice the loaves into 18 slices, each slice contains 16 grams of carbohydrates and 117 calories. I was adjusting the number of servings trying to hit a 15 gram serving as that is what the ADA considers to be one serving of carbohydrates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Werling Way © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner