Sunday, November 15, 2009

Baker's Cookies


Here's another recipe. This one by request. I remember when I was a kid and we made these cookies we had cookies all over the place. It calls for baking syrup. We used the white Karo syrup for that and our cookies were really light colored and mild flavored. When I got married my mother-in-law used the same recipe but used molasses for the syrup, so they were a dark molasses flavored cookie. Use the type syrup of your choice to get different cookies. If you've forgotten, a pint is two cups, a quart is four cups. We always used a drinking glass dipped into flour for a cookie cutter.


Baker's Cookies

3 1/2 pints sugar
1 1/2 pints shortening
5 small eggs (I use large eggs)
9 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 pint water
1/2 pint baking syrup
3 quarts flour

Mix all together at the same time. Roll out (not too thin) and cut. Transfer to a baking sheet


Topping

1 egg, beaten slightly
1/3 cup milk

Mix egg and milk together. Brush on tops of cookies before baking.

The recipe doesn't give a temperature or time for baking and I've never made note of what I used. I would bake them at 350° and watch them closely until you establish a time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Werling Way © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner