Last night on Twitter @backyardpoultry tweeted that he was headed to the kitchen because his wife was hungry. He was going to make chicken nuggets and applesauce. That got me to thinking about chicken strips, or more specifically, dipping sauce. When I would go down to visit my son in Alabama we used to go to Guthrie's and get chicken finger meals. I LOVED their dipping sauce. I would get soooo hungry for that sauce. I'd beg Nathan to see if he could buy sauce to bring home to me when he would come but he'd never do it. Finally I decided to go online and see if I could find a copycat recipe, which I did, so now I make it at home. I've found that when I compare my homemade to the actual Guthrie's sauce that I'm putting a lot more pepper in than the original has, but I like it that way. We use the sauce on sandwiches too. I especially love it on a bologna sandwich. I've found that I like my homemade chicken strips better than the Guthrie's Chicken Fingers. I cut chicken breasts into strips about an inch wide, dredge in flour, dip in a wash of equal parts beaten egg and milk, dredge in finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs and deep fry until golden brown. Here's the sauce recipe:

Dipping Sauce Like Guthrie's

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
ground black pepper (I use fresh, course ground)

Mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle with enough black pepper to cover the mixture. Stir. Then add another layer of black pepper. Stir again.

It might seem like a lot of pepper but that's what makes it good. It's best if made a few hours or a day ahead so the flavors can blend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Werling Way © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner