Sad to say, for someone who grew up on a farm and now co-owns the family farms with my brother and sister, I've not shown much interest in farming. I just read an article that caught my attention though. The article is titled 'More than agriculture, it's a consumer issue'. It talks about the housing of certain farm animals and chickens and how the HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) wants to force changes that will ultimately cost the consumer money. For the most part I don't feel farm animals are mistreated. It really irks me that it seems like everyone and his brother tries to control the farmer. It's no wonder the day of the small family farm is practically gone. Give this article a read: More than agriculture, it's a consumer issue.

Speaking of animals, I'm soooo sad. Late last night we heard what sounded like a baby bird. We went out with a flashlight and searched the yard and found that it was a tiny baby rabbit, probably not yet two weeks old. I wanted more than anything to scoop the little fellow up, bring him in and give him some warm milk and make him a warm place to sleep. Deep in my heart I knew it would be wrong. Chances of me being able to raise him were probably small. And if he did survive, then there would be the matter of him not knowing how to survive in the wild. I didn't even pick him up for a quick snuggle because I didn't want the scent of humans on him in case his mother was still close by. We left him there and closed the outdoor cat in the garage for the night. He was gone this morning. I can only hope that his mother was still close and took him away and that something didn't make a meal of him. Good luck sweet baby bunny!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Werling Way © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner