Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Blessing Of The Library

I've been thinking. LOL...well that could be dangerous! My gals at Dream Tags were after me to get on Facebook. I'd signed up on Facebook at some time in the past but I totally did not care for it and abandoned it. I found Twitter and much preferred it. Twitter seemed so much simpler since it doesn't have a kazillion apps someone is always inviting you to use. Well my new Twitter friends were also using Facebook so I finally gave it another try. Eventually I figured out I could just ignore the Easter Egg requests and such and block the applications. Ahhh, much better.

So anyway, back to my thinking. I've hooked up with a few of my old high school friends on Facebook. Elaine, Karen, Alice and I were closer then four peas in a pod through most of junior high and high school at Southern Wells. I don't' recall why but I drifted away from them our senior year. After high school they all went to Ball State University and I went to Wayne University of Cosmetology. I lost contact with all of them. I have no idea what ever became of Alice. Karen became a nurse and I ran into her five years ago when my mom had a knee replacement in the hospital she worked at. I used to bump into Elaine's sister once in a while so I knew Elaine was out west somewhere but couldn't remember where.

Elaine and I have hooked up on Facebook. It's been interesting learning of her present day life. She lives in Nebraska and runs a library there. I think she told me the population of the town is around 375 so I'm surprised it even has a library. I found a video of it and it's a nice little library but what a contrast between it and our library here in Bluffton. It really makes me appreciate what we have here. Elaine runs the library and is it's only employee. There has only been once that I've ever wanted a book that our library didn't have in it's collection and I've never given it much thought that it could be any other way. It just so happens that the book I'm currently reading is one Elaine's library doesn't own.

That got me to thinking about how we are so blessed to have such a large, beautiful and well run library here in Bluffton, and it's branch in Ossian. They offer us so many services and I'm sure there are several I haven't even realized they offer. One of the things I've come to appreciate to a great degree lately is the library website. It's awesome to have the card catalog online, be able to find books I'd like to read and reserve them online. While I've been confined to home I would pick out my books online and reserve them. Library staff would send me an email when they were ready for pick up and my husband would go to the front desk and the books would be handed to him. I've been able to read the books I choose to read rather than having to depend on someone else to try to find something they think I might enjoy.

I give a big thank you to the WCPL board and staff for all that they do for our community. We are truly blessed. They're located at 200 W. Washington St. in Bluffton and 207 N Jefferson St. in Ossian. Find them online at http://www.wellscolibrary.org. Get updates on their Twitter account, http://twitter.com/WCPLibrary and their Facebook page, Wells County Public Library on Facebook. And thank a librarian for all they do for you. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Werling Way © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner