Sunday, April 12, 2009

What year is that egg from?

It's Easter and along with that comes lots of memories. When I was a kid we always went to Great Grandma Blair's house for Easter. It was a large family so there were lots of people there. Aunt Grace always brought an angel food cake covered with green coconut for grass, Peeps chicks and jelly beans. Everyone brought Easter eggs for our hunt. My great aunts would sit with lists of names of who was going to hunt and write names on all the eggs. A couple of the men would take the eggs out and hide them. Children and adults all hunted for the eggs with their name on them. Occasionally we would have snow or rain so would have our hunt in the barn. Once in a while someone would find an egg in the barn that obviously wasn't from that year so the question would go out, "When's the last time we had the Easter egg hunt in the barn? What year is this egg from?" We always came home with dozens of eggs so had lots of dishes including eggs that next week. One thing my mom always made with the Easter eggs was creamed eggs on toast. I always looked forward to that. After I married I only got to go to the Blair Easter every other year. My (ex) husband's family didn't have an Easter Egg hunt so I missed getting to have my creamed eggs on toast. It was a LONG time before I figured out I didn't have to have Easter eggs to make it, I just needed to boil eggs! The first time I boiled eggs and made creamed eggs on toast I looked at it for the longest time trying to figure out what was wrong with it because it didn't look right. I finally figured out it was because my egg whites were really white. When made with Easter eggs the dye would bleed through the shells onto the egg whites so there were always pastel colors sticking up out of the sauce. The creamed eggs look really bland when made with boiled eggs instead of Easter eggs! Those days are long gone. As the family aged we stopped having those family dinners. Now even all my great aunts and uncles have passed away. This year we'll be having Easter at my mom's house. There will only be eight of us. My son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter won't be able to come up from Alabama to have Easter with us. I will miss them. Happy Easter everyone...and remember the true reason we have Easter, that God's son died to save us from our sins. What a wonderful God we have.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Werling Way © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner