Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My First Storm Chase!

I had a new experience today. (Once again that was really yesterday because it's after midnight now.) I went on my very first storm chase! Well kind of. I did it from the comfort of my living room via the wonders of the internet. One of the people I follow on Twitter is Jason Foster (Twitter ID WeatherWarrior1). Jason is a storm chaser and his website is http://www.theweatherwarrior.com. This afternoon Jason tweeted, "Chase mode any minute, streaming live at www.weatherwarrior.net/TV.html. Currently SW of Petersburg." So I popped up that URL and waited for Jason, accompanied by Aaron, to take off on their storm chase with me in their virtual back seat. There is a chat room you can pop up next to the streaming video and you can ask questions, make comments and talk to others in the chat room. There was scrolling text beneath the video and I started to have problems with my motion sickness from it. I thought I was going to have to abandon the chase because of it, but I commented on my problem in the chat room and they saw my comment and were kind enough to turn it off for me. Jason and Aaron were trying to find tornadoes to chase in Virginia. There were several warnings issued due to possible tornadoes showing up on dopplar radar but we didn't get to see any tornadoes. We saw lots of clouds, rain and some hail. It was still fun and I'm sure if I get the chance I'll be in Jason's virtual backseat chasing storms with him again. Thanks for the ride Jason and Aaron! :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Werling Way © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner